White House Vets

156 Newtown Road

Malvern WR14 1PJ


01684 560940 (24hrs)

 

info@whitehousevets.com

 

Online booking / Pet Portal

 

Latest NeWs

 

Our latest newsletter is out: view it here

 

How the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into force on 25 May 2018, see our Privacy Policy here.

 

Join our Pet Club free here

 

To view our latest newsletters and get yours join the Pet Club free

 

For a quick looksee on the latest website updates click here

 

Opening Hours: 

 

Mon-Fri     08:00 - 19.00hrs

Saturday    08:00 - 13:00hrs

Sunday       10:00 - 12:00hrs



Also open Bank Holidays except
Christmas Day see below.

 

Appointments within 24 hours
 

After hours our emergency service is provided by our out of hours partner, VetsNow.

 

Just phone the normal number 01684 560940 (24hrs) to be automatically put through

 

 

 

Pet Health News

 

For the latest alerts about pet health issues affecting

 

Malvern and area scroll down...

Bunny

 

Fly Strike in Rabbits - added 24/05/2018

 

Now is the time to take action against blow-fly strike.

 

The green bottle fly lays its eggs on the rabbit's reat end. These develop into maggots. The flies are particularly attracted to dirty bottoms as happens if they are not kept in clean conditions, if they are elderly, or if they have overgrown cheek-teeth and are unable to clean their back ends.

 

Make sure thethe hutch is cleaned out daily.

 

We can supply Rearguard which can apply to theircoats and it gives them protection for 10 weeks - how is that?!

 

Kitty

 

Sunburn in cats with white ears and noses added 24/05/2018

 

Excessive exposure to sun in white cats, or cats with white ears or noses can cause sunburn which can progress to  a type of skin cancer (squamous cell carninoma).

 

A minimum of Factor 30 sun screen should be applied before they go outdoors when the sun is shining. Special feline sun cream is also available.

 

 

 

Alabama Rot - now in Services

 

 

 

 

Chipper with chocolate

 

Christmas Dangers  - Poisons added 08/12/2017

 

Chocolate, nuts, grapes, sultanas, poinsettias, holly and mistletoe berries are all toxic to dogs and cats. Dark chocolate is the most toxic and 100grms can be lethal for a dog the size of a Springer Spaniel, whereas it would take about 1 kg of milk chocolate to have the same effect (or 4kgs of Roses!).

 

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning usually start with vomiting and diarrhoea but in the dogs that have had high doses it can rapidly lead to kidney failure.

 

Fortunately, cats are less inclined to eat it.

 

Mince pies and Christmas cake are on the banned list as well.

 

 

Conker with tinsel

 

Christmas Decorations Danger added 08/12/2017

 

 

Ribbons, baubles, tinsel, and Christmas tree lights can all prove irresistible specially to kittens and puppies.

 

If chewed and swallowed, they can cause gastro-intestinal problems and often get trapped.

 

 

Keep lilies away from cats!

 

Christmas Cats & Lilies added 08/12/2017

 

Keep cats away from lilies. It is the brown powder in the centre of the flower that is the most toxic, causing kidney disease. They get it on their coats as they brush past and then ingest it when grooming.

 

Anti-Freeze Danger

 

And anti-freeze, though not specific to Christmas, it is the time of year when people often drain their car radiators. A few licks of anti-freeze can be fatal.

 

The picture shows Milo, a two-year-old Bedlington terrier, in the recovery ward on an intravenous drip.

 

Beware Acorns added 20/10/2017

 

This has been a particularly good year for acorns -  a lot of them and big ones.

When eaten by dogs they can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, and if they eat a lot they can cause liver and kidney disease.

 

However, we have had two instances in the last fortnight (Oct 17) where dogs have swallowed large acorns whole which have subsequently got stuck in the small intestines.

 

Both dogs needed surgery and made uneventful recoveries.

 

 

 

Beware 'Jerky' Treats from China -

 

and other common poisons

 

- added 23/08/2017

 

If your dog is unwell, usually vomiting and diarrhoea and increased drinking, following the ingestion of jerky treats from China, then contact us. Often dogs recover when the treats are no longer fed, but it can be more serious causing a condition called Fanconi Syndrome resulting in severe kidney disease.

 

There has also been a steep rise in cases of poisoning resulting from dogs biting into e-cigarettes and their refills, and ingesting liquid nicotine.

 

Human pain-killers, chocolate, and lilies are the biggest causes of poisoning, but other things that are best kept away from pets are contraceptive pills, raisins, and artificial sweeteners.

Print Print | Sitemap
© White House Vets