White House Vets

156 Newtown Road

Malvern WR14 1PJ


01684 560940 (24hrs)

 

info@whitehousevets.com

 

Online booking / Pet Portal

 

Latest NeWs

 

Pet Health - Christmas dangers

 

Barn Dance outcome - on our home page.

 

Our Christmas newsletter (no. 55) is now out, to view it and get yours join the Pet Club free.

 

Opening Hours: 

 

Mon-Fri     08:00 - 19.00hrs

Saturday    08:00 - 13:00hrs

Sunday       10:00 - 12:00hrs



Also open Bank Holidays except
Christmas Day see below.

 

Appointments within 24 hours
After-hours emergency service always available

 

Xmas 2017/

New Year 2018

 

Opening Hours
Sat 23 Dec 08:00 - 13:00
Sun 24 Dec 10:00 - 12:00
Mon 25 Dec ** CLOSED **
Tue 26 Dec 10:00 - 12:00
Wed 27 Dec Normal hours
Thu 28 Dec Normal hours
Fri 29 Dec Normal hours
Sat 30 Dec 08:00 - 13:00
Sun 31 Dec 10:00 - 12:00
Mon 01 Jan ** CLOSED **
Tue 02 Jan Back to normal

Outside of this, comprehensive emergency cover is provided by our out of hours partner, VetsNow. Just phone the normal number to be automatically put through

pdsa - help a vet help a pet ...........Click for more information

 

 

 

Pet Health News

 

For the latest alerts about pet health issues affecting

 

Malvern and area scroll down...

Chipper with chocolate

 

Christmas Dangers  - Poisons added 08/12/2017

 

Chocolate, nuts, grapes, sultanas, poinsettias, holly and mistletoe berries are all toxic to dogs and cats. Dark chocolate is the most toxic and 100grms can be lethal for a dog the size of a Springer Spaniel, whereas it would take about 1 kg of milk chocolate to have the same effect (or 4kgs of Roses!).

 

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning usually start with vomiting and diarrhoea but in the dogs that have had high doses it can rapidly lead to kidney failure.

 

Fortunately, cats are less inclined to eat it.

 

Mince pies and Christmas cake are on the banned list as well.

 

 

Conker with tinsel

 

Christmas Decorations Danger added 08/12/2017

 

 

Ribbons, baubles, tinsel, and Christmas tree lights can all prove irresistible specially to kittens and puppies.

 

If chewed and swallowed, they can cause gastro-intestinal problems and often get trapped.

 

 

Keep lilies away from cats!

 

Christmas Cats & Lilies added 08/12/2017

 

Keep cats away from lilies. It is the brown powder in the centre of the flower that is the most toxic, causing kidney disease. They get it on their coats as they brush past and then ingest it when grooming.

 

Anti-Freeze Danger

 

And anti-freeze, though not specific to Christmas, it is the time of year when people often drain their car radiators. A few licks of anti-freeze can be fatal.

 

The picture shows Milo, a two-year-old Bedlington terrier, in the recovery ward on an intravenous drip.

 

Beware Acorns added 20/10/2017

 

This has been a particularly good year for acorns -  a lot of them and big ones.

When eaten by dogs they can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, and if they eat a lot they can cause liver and kidney disease.

 

However, we have had two instances in the last fortnight (Oct 17) where dogs have swallowed large acorns whole which have subsequently got stuck in the small intestines.

 

Both dogs needed surgery and made uneventful recoveries.

 

 

 

Beware 'Jerky' Treats from China -

 

and other common poisons

 

- added 23/08/2017

 

If your dog is unwell, usually vomiting and diarrhoea and increased drinking, following the ingestion of jerky treats from China, then contact us. Often dogs recover when the treats are no longer fed, but it can be more serious causing a condition called Fanconi Syndrome resulting in severe kidney disease.

 

There has also been a steep rise in cases of poisoning resulting from dogs biting into e-cigarettes and their refills, and ingesting liquid nicotine.

 

Human pain-killers, chocolate, and lilies are the biggest causes of poisoning, but other things that are best kept away from pets are contraceptive pills, raisins, and artificial sweeteners.

 

Alabama Rot - added 31/03/2017

 

Unfortunately, there has been a case of this disease confirmed in Malvern.

 

The disease starts with skin lesions, often ulcers or raised nodules, generally on the legs or paws, but they can also be on the body, mouth or tongue. This develops within a few days to kidney disease, and ultimately kidney failure. It is fatal in nine dogs out of ten. It can occur in dogs of any breed or age and has occurred throughout the country, although most cases have been in Hampshire, Greater Manchester, and Dorst. It was first recognised in the UK in 2012, since when there have been 102 confirmed cases, ie about 20 cases a year.

 

No environmental triggers have been identified and the cause is unknown. Not knowing the cause makes prevention difficult, but it has been suggested that washing your dog's paws thoroughly after a walk might help.

 

There is a possible winter/spring seasonality

 

If your dog suddenly develops skin lesions, make an appointment to see us as soon as you can (and we are now open on Sunday mornings 10 am to 12 noon).

 

For more information, click here.

 

 

Print Print | Sitemap
© White House Vets